…no deadline, apply all year around
A completed application includes a ARJ Application Form, application processing payment (paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org), resume, CV, or biographical statement (3 pages maximum); a work plan; and a work sample. Incomplete or late applications will not be reviewed by the panel.
The Resume, CV, or Biographical Statement is a Word or PDF document that shows education, work experience, publications, awards, and previous residency experience.
The Work Plan is a one to two page Word or PDF document. Write about your work, yourself, and your current thinking about what you’d like to accomplish at the ALJ as clearly and concisely as possible. Statement can be single-spaced.
Work Samples should be of recent work and should include:
- For composers and musicians: 3 to 5 recordings
- For visual artists: At least 5 images of work (300 dpi or larger)
- For nonfiction and fiction writers: 10 pages of double-spaced prose
- For poets: 10 pages of poetry
- For translators: 10 pages of translation and original text
- For performance artists: At least 3 videos of performances
- For Scholars: 10 pages of work, including research abtracts and relevant diagrams
ELIGIBILITY: The Residency Program is open to emerging, mid-career, and established visual artists, writers, composers, choreographers, interdisciplinary artists, musicians, performance artists, scholars, and translators. Our program is interdisciplinary and we welcome applications from a wide range of creative and intellectual genres, including those that don’t fit neatly into the above list.